What is ISO/IEC 20000?
ISO/IEC 20000 is the first and only worldwide standard specifically aimed at IT service management.
It describes an integrated set of management processes for the effective delivery of IT services to the business and its customers. It is aligned with, and complementary to, the process approach defined within ITIL®.
ISO/IEC 20000 consists of five parts:
Defines the requirements for an organization to deliver managed services of an acceptable level of quality to its customers.
Describes best practices for the IT service management processes included in Part 1. This is useful to organizations planning improvements.
Provides guidance on the different types of conformity assessment and assessment standards.
A logical representation of the process elements that should be performed at a basic level.
Includes advice for service providers on a suitable order in which to plan and implement improvements.
Where did ISO/IEC 20000 come from?
In 2000, the BSI Group published a comprehensive British quality standard for IT service management, known as BS 15000. It was well-received and widely adopted, becoming a national standard that was ultimately used internationally.
After evolving over several years and establishing a foothold in many nations, BS 15000 was submitted as a fast track candidate to become ISO/IEC 20000. It is now owned and published by ISO, the International Organization for Standardization, based in Geneva.
Who is ISO/IEC 20000 for?
Organizations of all sizes use standards to compete more effectively, from small businesses to multinational companies to governments. ISO/IEC 20000 can be used by an organization:
- Seeking services from service providers and requiring assurance that their requirements will be fulfilled.
- Requiring a consistent approach by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain.
It is also relevant to service providers intending to:
- Demonstrate their capability for the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services.
- Monitor, measure and review their service management processes and services.
ISO/IEC 20000 can be useful to auditors as the criteria for a conformity assessment.
What online resources are available for ISO/IEC 20000?
All ISO/IEC 20000 publications are included in the ISO standards catalog for purchase. They include:
- ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 (Part 1) - Service management system requirements.
- ISO/IEC 20000-2:2011 (Part 2) - Guidance on the application of service management systems.
- ISO/IEC 20000-3:2011 (Part 3) - Guidance on scope definition and applicability of ISO/IEC 20000 Part 1.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-4:2010 (Part 4) - Process reference model.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-5:2010 (Part 5) - Exemplar implementation plan for ISO/IEC 20000-1.
Click here for more information.